Posted by Sunday on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:11 pm
Presented to you as a bullet list, some things:
- I am craving a Peanut Buster Parfait. I blame my mom, mostly.
- So, Silk’s PureAlmond milk? Is fucking disgusting. I’ve never thrown out a carton of cow-milk alternative before, and that shit went down the sink. First of all, if it takes longer than 30 seconds for your milk to filter down into your bowl of cereal, the milk is too thick. And the thickness is clearly there to try and cover for the fact that the milk doesn’t taste like anything. It’s like drinking a cup of faintly musty gelatin.
- This year! I started seeds! I started a bunch of weird stuff that’ll probably die, but I’m still pretty excited about it. Mostly Asian herbs and vegetables from Kitazawa Seed, but also some unusual edibles from my other favorite place, Renee’s. Anyway, I bring this up because I discovered that I am totally, outrageously impatient. I thought I was less impatient these days since my knitting concentration has improved dramatically, but I realized that might be because I let myself watch TV while knitting. I keep checking on my plants in their little ramshackle garbage bag greenhouse tent and yelling at them “HURRY UP!”
- CARS STRESS ME OUT. We really, really need to invest in a new (to us) car, but the details of it are genuinely frustrating. We are looking into getting a small used car loan, and the whole subject is way stupider then I’d ever feared. We debated leasing a car since the monthly payments would be lower, and because cars aren’t actual investments and I don’t care that you don’t own it at the end of the lease period, but I got too spooked after hearing some stories from people about paying exorbitant sums when they had small damages to the car. And! This all isn’t even scratching the surface of the what-make-and-model anxiety. Anyway, the whole subject is strange because Mike and I have always had hand-me-down cars where we didn’t have to make any decisions. Also, we dearly love our current car, the one we’re trying to take the pressure off of. We think of it as a family member. I honestly believe that car saved our lives one night while driving through a sudden blizzard on a mountain pass in Idaho.
- Trader Joe’s recently reformulated their orange sticks (international homies: orange sticks are soft orange-flavored jellies covered in chocolate) and now they are RADICAL. The orange jelly is really soft and sweet-tart, and the dark chocolate shell is super thin and almost crispy. I am struggling to limit myself to one each time I walk by the drawer where they are kept.
- I baked this a few days ago, and no kidding, it was one of the best things I’ve ever made. It was incredible. The Viking and I ate it all in almost one sitting, hot from the oven. It was a total revelation. And why didn’t I document it? Because the lighting was poor and I was feeling tired and lazy and I honestly didn’t have high hopes for it. BOY WAS I WRONG. Don’t worry, I’ll be making it again very, very soon, and next time I promise photos. In the meantime, you could just make it yourself.