The Tea Party is Go; Jam Thumbprint Cookies

Posted by Sunday on Feb 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm

A terrible storm has hit Los Angeles.

See?  Terrible.  There are barely any sun breaks at all.  The news stations are full of dire warnings (WATERSPOUTS!) which I’m sure are legitimate for certain small areas of the region, but for 99% of us, it’s a rainy day.  And for a girl from Seattle-adjacent, well, it’s basically a summery day.  I love the rain.  I miss it daily.  I suspect I might be part newt, because the minute the sky goes that gorgeous shade of dirty laundry water, I get all ten kinds of energetic.  Also I have a fear of public interaction, and rain means no talking!  Hooray!

So I woke up this morning kind of mopey from the bad news we received last week, and then it started raining and I felt better and wanted cookies.  I mean, either way I wanted cookies, those last two things were unrelated.

Enter: mom’s thumbprint cookies.  I have very old memories of being a toddler?  Barely older than that?  And being allowed to make the thumbprint in the cookie.  As I aged and cultivated a less mature taste, I started to prefer more jam, and the “thumbprint” turned into giant cup for the jam to rest in, god bless it and keep it.

The dough is dead easy to make, and the hardest part of the whole ordeal is rolling each ball of dough in egg white and then pressing the chopped nuts into it.  After that it’s any kind of jam or jelly or curd you have on hand, and if you’re me then you’ll have a hard time narrowing it down to which six you want to use.

rhubarb, marionberry, elderflower marmalade, fig marmalade, passionfruit curd, apricot

They’re good holiday cookies since they can be baked, frozen and then thawed to eat, but really that means they’re great all the time.  Make a batch, freeze half, take one out when you want to eat it, wait 15 minutes and voila, thawed and ready.  Maybe a touch chilly.  Microwave for authentic nuclear-hot-jam-cauterizing-your-tongue-straight-from-the-oven action.

Mom’s Thumbprints
the cookies can be made almost any size.  we’ve made them tiny, we’ve made them huge (like for reals, maybe we should have called them “fistprints”), just watch the time and see how fast they’re browning.  also, part of the fun is seeing which jams turn to liquid and run all out of the cookies and which don’t.  i honestly and truly cannot believe that none of my six jams did this in that photo up there.  totally unheard of.  if you don’t believe in using vegetable shortening (or can’t find it) then all butter will work, but the texture will be different.

4oz (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 egg yolks (reserve the whites)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour

2 egg whites (reserved from the yolks)
2 cups nuts, chopped, any kind you like but I like walnuts best
jam, any kind you like

• Heat oven to 325.
  • Cream butter and sugar together by mixing on medium speed until smooth and light in color, about 5 minutes.  Add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing until combined.  Scrape the bowl down.  Add the vanilla and almond extracts, mix to combine, and then add the flour and salt, mixing until just combined.  The dough will be stiff and not at all sticky.
  • In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites with a fork or small whisk until the stringy gloopy bits are broken down a little, about 1 minute.  The whites will get a little frothy from this, and that’s okay.  Put the chopped nuts into a second small bowl.
  • Starting a little assembly line, first form the dough into balls, about 1 Tbsp in size (I used a 1.5 Tbsp. scoop to make mine).  Then, using one hand, quickly drop the ball into the egg whites to coat, then lift right out to let it drain for a few seconds.  That hand is now the “egg white hand”.  Drop the ball into the chopped nuts and use the other hand to turn and press into the nuts to get a nice, even coat.  That hand is now the “nuts hand”.  Continue in this manner until all the balls are coated and set out on cookie sheets.
  • Wipe your hands free of any excessive egg white and nuts and then form the thumbprints.  I find I like to use two hands, one to keep the sides of the cookie roughly circular and the other thumb to actually to the pressing.  Don’t fuss or worry about what it looks like, these are rustic-looking cookies.  Just take some care not to leave any massive cracks or low spots or else your jam will run out of the cookie as it bakes.
  • Fill each cookie with jam and then bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the cookie is visibly light brown around the edges.  Transfer to a cookie sheet to cool and resist trying to eat one as long as possible or you’ll have a lip blister for your troubles.  The jam is like pizza cheese – impossibly hot against all laws of physics.
  • To freeze when they are cool, stack in a plastic container with sheets of wax paper between layers.  To thaw, either microwave for 10 seconds or let sit at room temperature for 15 – 30 minutes.  Eat with tea and scheme the downfall of others.
February 18th, 2011 | Make It So

20 Responses to The Tea Party is Go; Jam Thumbprint Cookies

1. Kim says:

I’m dying to know… What kinds of jam did you use???!!!

I’m sorry, I actually meant to leave a little note below the last photo saying just that. I updated it, but I ended up using: rhubarb jam, marionberry jelly, elderflower marmalade, fig marmalade, passionfruit curd, and apricot jelly.

2. Brook says:

We’re having freaky strange weather in Connecticut. Piles of snow, a couple of 60F days, thundering rain last night, now down to near freezing. WTF?? This is mighty confusing for a girl from the Canadian prairies.

And your thumbprint cookies? Lemon curd or, even better, deep buckets of precious passionfruit curd — mmmmmm, curd.

Thanks for making me snort out loud in laughter on a regular basis. It’s a rare and much appreciated writing skill.

I actually used up the last of the precious passionfruit curd on four of the thumbprints. I have a friend in NZ who brought it to me a while back. Mmmmm, curd, is right.

And you’re welcome!

3. sal says:

praise jebus, i love a girl who tells me how much butter to use in ounces, and not sticks (yes, i am too lazy to find out how to convert a stick of butter into ounces myself.)
    so then, my jobs list for tomorrow:
    1. make these.
    2. scheme downfall of others.
    awesome! i shall enjoy both.

The butter measurement thing is one of the only things I’ve memorized. Ever. 1 stick = 4 oz = 1/2 cup = 1/2 1/4 pound = 8 tablespoons = 113 grams. I think I want that on my tombstone, for the edification of others.

• quagmire says:

Heh, your math skills still manage to give me a good chuckle every once in a while kiddo. I believe 4 ozs. = ¼ pound … last time I looked anyway. Just keepin’ ya honest. =0]
        Love ya, Pops

• Dana says:

Seeing amounts of butter measured in anything other than sticks is nice. They don’t seem to sell it in that size of stick anywhere I shop, so I’ve got the conversions well memorized too.

4. cassie says:

totally unrelated, but i just found this article. in case you needed another reason to be disgusted with oprah: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2011/01/13/2011-01-13_oprah_winfrey_beloved_box_office_failure_made_me_eat_30_pounds_of_mac_and_cheese.html

I saw that some time back and laughed and laughed… and realized, for the very first time, that I might not 100% hate her. I mean, I really, really dislike her. And Beloved was an abomination. But 30 pounds of macaroni and cheese? You can’t hate that.

5. clintavious says:

You said “nut hand” and “balls”. Seriously? Come over and bake at my place in Huntington Beach ANY TIME ;-)

6. clintavious says:

Am I the only guy reading this or the only guy perverse enough (or honest enough) to comment?

Neither, you’re merely the least lazy. Even still, I’m disappointed in my readership for not a single person but you (which translates to points for you) pointing out that I’d said “balls” multiple times AND suggested that there was a “nut hand”.

7. clintavious says:

I’m from Illinois and I also get super excited about rain.

Seriously! I lived in Cincinnati for 18 months and the only thing I really miss are the storms. The midwest simply cannot be beat on storms.

8. Rachael says:

Greased or not greased cookie sheet? How many does recipe yield?
    Thanks!

Rachel, I always use (ungreased) parchment for cookies, but the yield is tricky. Because the cookies can be made massive, small, or anything between, yield can vary from 15 HUGE thumprints to 3 dozen tiny. My yeild is typically around 24, give or take.