Peanut Butter & Jelly Hamburger?

Posted by Sunday on Mar 13, 2011 at 8:13 am

So, you may have heard of this food truck called Grill ‘Em All.  They were on a TV show called The Great Food Truck Race and before that, a West Los Angeles drunky-drunk post-bar favorite.  For perhaps both of those reasons, I’ve ignored the truck, and to my own detriment as it turns out.

Before heading to the truck, we read up on what to eat.  I think the ironic hipster burger of choice is the “Behemoth,” an otherwise normal BBQ sauced burger between two grilled cheese sandwiches instead of a bun.  But there’s a lot of talk about the “Witte,” a burger with bacon, onions, aioli and cream cheese, and the Viking sank his vote on that one.  But then I saw it. “The Dee Snider”: a peanut butter and jelly bacon burger laced with Sriracha sauce.

Peanut butter and jelly burger!

I say this with all honesty and assurances that I wouldn’t fool you: this was one of the best burgers I’ve ever eaten, and despite the patty being overcooked by several minutes.  The crunchy peanut butter was the predictably good part, supplying creaminess and texture to the mess, but the jelly?  And the Sriracha?  Totally genius.  I couldn’t make out what kind of jelly it was, but I’m going to timidly claim it was grape.  And just enough hot sauce to keep the whole thing from confusing your palate.  What might have been twee transforms into something complex and impossible to stop eating.

While we were standing in line (and for a mere 5 minutes, after which our food took only 5 minutes to be made GRILLED CHEESE TRUCK YOU SHOULD PAY ATTENTION) a woman in full cyclist gear including the bicycle approached me and said “Can you tell me what the deal is here?”  She gestured to the long and enthusiastic line at the Grill ‘Em All truck while other nearby trucks wanted for a single customer.  I explained to her the TV show, but then pointed out the occasionally bizarre menu.  Her face lit up.  “What are you going to get?”

“Peanut butter and jelly burger,” I told her.  She laughed.  I laughed too.  What I didn’t know was that I would have to stop myself from going back and ordering a second one.

March 13th, 2011 | Eatin' Fancy

8 Responses to Peanut Butter & Jelly Hamburger?

1. is it weird that i don’t find the peanut butter weird at all, but the jelly just grosses me right out?

2. Dana says:

I agree with alana, peanut butter, sriracha and beef sound yummy. Jelly, unless it was maybe glaze like, seems weird. But, it’s probably just one of those things you need to experience to find out.

To respond to both of you — I have to admit first to a love of salty-sweet. Or sweet-salty, as the case may be. But if it helps to imagine the jelly as something more savory, what if you used pepper jelly? Or mint jelly on a lamb burger?

To be more accurate though, you know what it reminded me of? That sweet dipping sauce served with eggrolls as less-than-authentic Chinese restaurants. I think it was the combination of the jelly with the sriracha, but there was a distantly Asian tastebud tingle for me.

4. Ami says:

These burgers sound great, especially the one with the cream cheese. I will be in LA next week and I can’t wait to hit the food trucks. My head will be spinning….where to go first? Shaved ice?
    Lobster roll? Oohhh Dim Sum please!

The best advice I can give is to go to the 5700 block of Wilshire Blvd at lunch hour. There are always at least 5 and as many as 10 trucks there. In fact, I’ll be there next Friday – see if you can spot the tattooed hunchback!

• Ami says:

Perfect! I am going to be at the LACMA. But not until Saturday. But I will still keep an eye out for you while I enjoy the deliciousness that is sticky rice.

5. Danabee says:

Hell, yes, totally down with the PB&JB. Sounds delicious and a perfectly logical combination to the Thai food lover in me.

6. Sp!ke Brannigan says:

A PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY BURGER?! Y-U-M-M-Y!!!!! IS THERE ANYPLACE ON LONG ISLAND WHERE I CAN GET ONE (PREFERABLY PLAIN, WITH ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE ON IT BUT AMERICAN CHEESE)?