Cartoon Wine

Posted by Sunday on Jul 3, 2011 at 7:46 am

When I was younger and saw people drinking wine in TV I thought it would taste like, well, grape juice.  But like a lot of kids, I have a distinct memory of my first drink of wine and the immediate feeling of hurt — why would someone have given this to me?  What did I do to deserve this awful crap?  Why does it burn?  Who actually likes this?  Can I have a rootbeer now?

I grabbed this bottle at total random the other day, mostly just because I’d been wanting to try a sparkling red wine for years.  And this bottle was $5 at Trader Joe’s, which doesn’t hurt.  Five dollars!  Some Google-fu suggests it might be at World Market as well, for those of you without a Trader Joe’s nearby.

So: La Grotte Reggiano Lambrusco?  Tastes like I imagined wine would taste.  And it’s fizzy!  Michael Jackson would have been pleased to serve this to his underage friends.  It’s refreshing and light, it’s very fruity and just a little floral (violets?), and borderline dangerous.  It’s chuggable.  It is a delightful summertime tipple for the unadventurous and lazy.  The bottle even recommends it paired with pizza – pizza – and they are absolutely right to do so.  We ate it with pasta salad, s’mores and True Blood, and it was perfection.  I’m going back to buy a half dozen bottles just as soon as possible, for I intend to be a wino this summer.

July 3rd, 2011 | Food Rant, Obsessed

16 Responses to Cartoon Wine

Sunday, you’ve just made my Sunday.

One of my greatest shames is that I wish wine tasted like spiked up grape juice. With bubbles. You know, basically grown-up red 7-up. I’m horribly embarrassed to admit I like so FEW red wines. I can get all technical and say I have a very sensitive palate for tannins and I literally shutter if it’s too high (true), but let’s face it. I’m that kid who tasted wine and said “why are you making me drink salad vinegar? Was I bad?” With my eyes welling up with tears and my lip trembling.

I turn most red wine into fruity Sangria because that way my friends, boyfriend, guests, what-have-you, won’t know that I’m actually not trying to be festive and gay when they come to dine, I’m trying to make red-wine drinkable. For ME.

So. Guess what the eff I have to do NOW? Get dressed so I can drive to freaking Trader Joe’s and this better be there or I’m gonna have to then get on the freeway and head over to World Market! Dagnabbit. I want it!

I’m curious if you found it and tried it – success?

• Kristina says:

I found it that same night, bought two bottles. Consumed one. Went back for more. This is what sparkling red wine was supposed to be when I tasted it years ago — winey grape punch with fizz. I HEART THIS WINE! Thank you. (Bought the white one, too, but have not tried that yet).

I just got around to trying the white one, and it just doesn’t have that grape-juicy magic of the red. I mean, I drank the whole bottle just to be sure, but I still went back and bought another three bottles of red. And then debated buying more because I was afraid they’d stop selling it. I’m that lady now.

• Kristina says:

I’m that person, too. I buy it each time I’m there and stock up. Like I’m afraid this cheap boozey punch will be rationed. I’ve actually been cooking with it, which is really embarrassing, but it’s true. I grilled Italian Sausage and made stewed lentils and sausage with this, and I admit it. It was darn good.

2. lauren says:

This is exactly what I have been wanting to drink as of late, and who can argue with $5?! I used to drink a similar but significantly less classy beverage that my old roommate introduced me to – red wine mixed with squirt. I was semi-horrified when she first told me about it, but she explained that she first learned about the drink when she was in Spain, so that makes it kind of Euro-classy and less 7-11 parking lot, right? At any rate what I’m saying is, red wine and squirt will do in a pinch but what I really want now is La Grotte Reggiano Lambrusco because it is much less embarrassing.

I had an ex-boyfriend that drank red wine and I want to say root beer? Maybe Coke? They called it something, and I found it to be totally undrinkable. Sprite makes more sense at least – I mean, I love beer and lemonade or Sprite mixed together, so I don’t see why wine wouldn’t work.

3. Dana says:

I thought the exact same things when faced with wine when I was little. This sounds like something to track down.

4. Elsa says:

I tried Lambrusco for the first time this spring and thought almost exactly the same thing: “This is like toy wine!”

5. Theresa says:

There used to be a cheap wine called TJ Swan that my friends and I would often get. I don’t know if they make it anymore. It was sweet like juice and cheap enough for us to afford. Your bottle looks a lot classier though.

I have really fond memories of drinking Mogen David with Mike after I’d first met him – it was sooo sweet and cheap. I wonder if TJ Swan was similar.

6. Pingback: Anger Burger » Blog Archive » Comfort Where You Can Find It

7. twoblueshoes says:

Heh heh. Lambrusco. What we all brought to BYO restaurants when we first turned 18. (Pizza restaurants, natch. We were all class.)

8. Elsa says:

I popped open a bottle of Lambrusco tonight to make onion-garlic jam* and reducing the rest with a bit of sugar, hoping I can use it to make pink champagne cupcakes.

… “reducing the rest,” but only after I pour out a nice big glass for myself to have with dinner: spicy pan-fried chickpeas over orecchiette with broccoli.

*Normally I’d use plain red wine for this, but we’re having a Champagne Jam, an all-day brunch open house with lots of cheap bubbly, and I’m making some champagne-y dishes, too. Besides, at five bucks a bottle, Lambrusco works out to be cheaper than even the cheapy-cheap tetra packs of red wine.