Overheard in Olympia

Posted by Sunday on Nov 6, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Scene: Grocery Store

A woman and her toddler son are bagging vegetables.  An older woman needs to get to the same area and leans past the toddler while saying in a very kindly tone “Pardon me, babe.”

The mother smiles at the older woman and then says in a completely serious voice: “Just so you’re aware, some people don’t like the use of the word ‘babe’.”

“Oh, okay,” the older woman says, totally confused.  “Um, I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright, I just thought you’d like to be aware,” the mother says.

November 6th, 2011 | True Story

21 Responses to Overheard in Olympia

1. the mother should mind her business!
    ugh, that enfuriates me!

2. k says:

What an asshole. My elderly father once ruffled the head of a little kid he had to squeeze past in the shoe department. He said “Scuzzy, hon!” and ruffled her hair. The mother saw this and blew a gasket. She called management, said my father had fondled her daughter and called her “hon.” Management listened to her tirade and then listened to my dad (and me) and I about cheered when he asked the Mom to leave “for causing a ruckus when you didn’t need to.”

Honestly. Mind your kids, protect them, but for crying out loud, draw the line at this kind of faux etiquette or stranger-danger fuckery.

3. k says:

(Scuzzy, pronounced skooo-zee, means “excuse me” where my family lives).

RAAA! I totally shouted to my friend Leesa on the phone about this today, because the woman deployed the word babe in its proper usage. It was a literal actual babe!

Honestly I kind of blacked out afterward, I don’t even remember walking away from the scene.

5. ASB President says:

Once took some friends to the ER in the middle of the night after a particularly nasty Car meet Tree (not ‘meat tree’, sorry Mike) encounter. The hospital folks let my severely concussed, detached nostril, “dude, where’s my car” buddies sit & wait while they surreptitiously called the police to investigate the strong odor of booze. Not giving two shits whether they had just smoked crack and had syringes jutting out of their arms, I firmly insisted that they “get my friends some help, right fucking now”, upon which time the idiot with the fat, ugly, colicky infant quickly shielded her babe’s ears and reproached me for my coarse language whilst there were CHILDREN?!? present. Luckily, I had the presence of mind to tell her to, “Shut the fuck up”. Security escorted me off of hospital property even as I protested that my car was in their parking lot. I had to get a ride home. People can be so touchy.

• Telling someone to ‘ Shut the fuck up’ in earnest is one of the most satisfying things you can do.

One night at the bar a guy made some non-ironic derogatory comment about women and I told him to “Shut the fuck up, you cootie,” and the bartender heard me and told me that I needed to “Learn some manners.”

Which is true, but context is king.

Later someone I barely knew bought me a drink for using the word ‘cootie’ in anger.

• Dingey Fruit Flavorings says:

As well they should. I am still pleased that friend once saw fit to congratulate me for using the words “fruition” and “bitch” in the same short sentence.

6. Lindsay says:

…Not child related, but decidedly asshole related…

I was in the grocery store the other day and there was an elderly woman in front of me who was attempting to buy $15 worth of food with food stamps. She didn’t have enough on her card, so it wasn’t going through… and she had to keep removing things from her bag. At this point, my heart is just breaking. I still hate myself for not just handing her the 15 bucks.

ANYWAY, this clearly well to do woman with a sweater wrapped around her neck gets behind me in line while all this is happening, with her giant cart of groceries. After she stands there long enough to realize what is happening, she says, to me, WAY loud enough for everyone involved to hear her, “Well, THIS is certainly taking a long time, isn’t it?”

…It was honestly one of those moments where every consequence for what I was about to do flashed before my eyes and I ignored every one of them for long enough to glare back at her and say, loud enough for everyone in the store to hear me, “Are you kidding? Please tell me you aren’t raising children to act this way?”

It still makes me want to put my fist through the windshield of her Lexus.

I’m not at all joking right now when I say that Mike and I are trying to find some way to go live in the woods. People keep assuming that we want to do this because of Los Angeles, but they are wrong. It’s because of everywhere.

I will say, to make you feel better, that when I was driving through Astoria, Oregon, my family stopped to eat lunch at a “Chinese” restaurant. There was an elderly woman who looked to be in a little rough shape eating lunch, and when she asked for the bill, the waitress pointed at a young couple eating a few booths away and said “They got it for you.” We got all weepy.

• Dingey Fruit Flavorings says:

I highly recommend retreating to the woods. We haven’t gone full-bore into the woods, but damned close, and it’s been a huge relief. We live within 10-15 minutes of three national parks, so retreat deeper into the actual woods is an easily accessible option. I miss some of the convenience of living close to every damned thing, but leaving the house and hearing water and birds and seeing the stars at night and not really having to deal with humans at all on weekends if you don’t want to is nothing short of fucking awesome.

7. jill says:

People are gross.

8. jess s says:

That doesn’t happen everywhere?

9. K says:

I was shopping at a Marshall’s with an outspoken male friend of mine and we got behind a woman with a problem transaction (returns, card not reading, couldn’t find the correct receipt, etc). It was taking awhile to resolve and as irritating as that was, it wasn’t as irritating as the same “Lexus Type Woman” behind us who said “COME ONNNNN, must we ALL pay the penalty for her failure to prepare and this clerks’ lack of adequate training?!”

Very loud, very strident.

My friend turned and looked at her with her pearls and twins-set and frosted salon-do, and she was holding nothing but a pair of white tube socks.

He said “This is MARSHALLs. Not NORDSTROM. The next time your little Wesley Stanley Harrington the Third needs a new pair of tube socks to jerk off into, GO THERE for your desired level of customer service.”

10. Vita says:

fuck, I hate people sometimes.
    Seems that, in general, one’s indignant righteousness is inversely proportionate to the amount of hardship they’ve personally suffered in their life.

For serious. Also: she was wearing head to toe Patagonia, which, I hate to all class-judgemental (guffaw) but, you know. She was probably wearing more money that I have to my name right now.

11. Hannah says:

My friend – who has a service dog – tells me that people regularly come up to her in the grocery store and ask “What’s wrong with you?” while attempting to pet her dog. She likes to say “There’s nothing wrong with me, but there seems to be something wrong with you.”

• K says:

EXCELLENT. I have a handicap placard for my car but it isn’t outwardly obvious why I occasionally don’t have the strength to walk long distances. I don’t always use it. When I need it, I do. I’ll sometimes hear, upon my exiting my car and walking toward an entrance “You’re taking up a handicap spot! THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU! You should leave it for people who NEED it!” (This is almost always from the elderly, by the way) I learned to smile broadly and and say “Thank you so much!!! I’m always gratified when someone can’t tell what’s wrong with me — it means I’m continuing to heal.”

12. Angie says:

What a horrible woman.

13. Carrie Anne says:

Yeah, I’d like to apologize on behalf of the non-awful parents out there.

I have a feeling she belongs to a mommy message board and loves “correcting” people because of the self-righteous warm-fuzzies it gives her while she basks in the smug knowledge of her superiority.