House of Asian Food Circus Hut

Posted by Mike the Viking on Sep 11, 2012 at 3:43 pm

If there’s anything good about being a honky, it’s the culture. The remorseless pillaging of other peoples’ culture, I mean. Resistance is futile. You WILL be ASSIMILATED.

Which brings me to Asian Food Circus Hut Street Fair Night at Fig Manor. Here we take the culinary highlights of several dissimilar pacific-rim cultures, stick them in bowls and maow down while listening to Tom Jones. Delightful.

Tonight’s menu: pickled mackerel with fresh shizo, home-made pot stickers, rice with curry (!) furikake (barely visible and mostly eaten in the second picture). Desert? Fresh pear sorbet. I don’t know what Asian country that’s from, but I’m pretty sure we should subjugate it.

Look on these eats, ye hungry, and despair.

-MIKE the VIKING

COMING SOON: Jars, and the things in them

September 11th, 2012 | Food Rant

8 Responses to House of Asian Food Circus Hut

1. quagmire says:

Hey! Look. Over there. One of those silly global villages … lets eat it!
    And wash it down with tankards of honey mead. [beeeelch]

2. Darryl Icht says:

This post makes me hungry for Mackerel and the opportunity to decimate small villages.

3. Dana says:

Home made potstickers are the best. YUM!

4. Jeff says:

Big fan of pot stickers, never got around to making them myself though. They seem fairly similar, in technique at least, to pirogi. Pirogi I can make, I may take a run at pot stickers when I get more than a 12 hour stretch that I’m not working.

• Mike the Viking says:

Jeff- I think the difficulty is about the same. The most difficult part of making pot stickers would be the wrapper, and there are good ones commonly available. Thicker and lighter colored wrappers are generally better- the yellow ones make for tougher skins which are difficult to cook (chewy).

These ones we got at SAFEWAY, “twin dragon gyoza.” Surprisingly good. They were medium thickness but it doesn’t say that on the package (avoid the thin ones- they tear in the pan). I coat a non-stick pan with olive oil and a dollop of sesame oil, pan fry until browned, then throw in a splash of water and put a lid on it to soften them. Once you’re satisfied that they’re soft, turn the heat to low and cover them until the rest of your asian food circus is ready. They are pretty resilient and hot-hold well.

5. quagmire says:

‘pillagingof’ … Nord word I take it?